by Lee Brecheen
|Coach Vic Dalrymple (center)|
June 22, 2011 – In North Louisiana, there’s a famous town known for its sports programs called Oak Grove, Louisiana. The city of Oak Grove has a total area of 1.7 square miles, but it also has a famous head Football Coach by the name of Vic Dalrymple. Vic has 305 Wins and only 87 losses in 30 years as Head Coach at Oak Grove High School.
It’s truly amazing what this man has been able to do at a small 1A High School which has a grade 7 to 12 enrollment that usually never tops over 400 kids total. Vic Dalrymple not only has 305 wins, but four State Championships in football at Oak Grove in 1989, 1991,1999 and 2001, as well as three Runner Ups at Oak Grove in 1986, 1997, and 2004. Oak Grove’s four State Titles are only second among the history books for Class 1A in Louisiana right behind Haynesville which has 7 total State Championships.
In my years of covering Oak Grove with Louisiana Football Magazine, I can only count six DI Football players that came out of Oak Grove since 1996, that where big time recruits. They are Tight End Josh Bradley (6-7, 230) who signed with LSU and finished at Louisiana Tech, Wide Receiver Eric Newman (6-0, 185), from Louisiana Tech and played at 6-0, 198 pounds in the NFL, Quarterback Jason Martin (6-3, 230) from Louisiana Tech and NFL, Defensive End Booker Washington from Louisiana Tech, Wide Receiver Dean Jackson from Louisiana Tech, and last year’s 2010 Class All Everything three sport Star De’La Mayers (6-4, 185) who you will be hearing a lot about in two years once he’s finished at Hinds Community College in Mississippi either in Pro Baseball or a big time DI Football program.
That’s a huge testament of the coaching of Vic Dalrymple and his staff for not having the big time blue chippers and winning year in and year out with a lot of tough and big hearted kids.
Vic Dalrymple also got to coach his two sons in State Championship games as head coach at Oak Grove. They were Robbie Dalrymple in the 1989 and 1991 State Championship games and Boyd Dalrymple in the 1997 and 1999 State title Games in the Superdome.
I will have more on the Oak Grove Tigers in the 2011 Preview issue that you can pre-order at www.lafootballmagazine.com/store.
Oak Grove High School Notes
- Former Major League Baseball player Tommy Harper played at Oak Grove High School.
- Olympic Shot Putter, LSU All American Offensive Lineman, and Chicago Bears Football player Jack Torrance, played high school football at Oak Grove in 1928 and 1929. Jack Torrance set world records in his era in the 1930’s in the Olympics for the Shot Put. Jack was the first football player to make All State at Oak Grove High School in 1928 and 1929. Jack was a rookie football player in the NFL for the legendary Hall of Fame football Coach George Papa Bear Halas in 1939.
- Tony Joe White, singer and songwriter, who wrote the song Rainy Night in Georgia, went to Oak Grove High School.
- Ray Marshall, United States Secretary of Labor under former President Jimmy Carter graduated from Oak Grove High School.
- Former Oak Grove High School Football player Kenny Hill, a Defensive Back, played in two Super Bowls. One with the Los Angeles Raiders in the 1983 Super Bowl when the Raiders were Champs, and in the other with the New York Giants in the 1986 Super Bowl when the Giants were Champs. Kenny Hill played in the NFL from 1981 to 1989. He went to Yale University for college